Demo Site

Monday, December 28, 2009

Sad Story?





             When I woke up, I found myself in unfamiliar surroundings. My head was still spinning. I tried to recall what had happened and remembered that Mrs. Crane had probably beaten me up again to something I didn’t do. The dizziness that attacked me earlier had gone and I tried to focus around this cold damp place. My swollen eyes traveled and I could see that I was surrounded by black stone wall. I felt if I was a princess trapped in a tower of a witch. That’s when I realized that my guess would be correct. Maybe Mrs. Crane had locked me in a tower after all or an underground room.

Realizing that I was the only person in this dungeon, I huddled myself into one corner. I could see rats scampering across the brick floor and I heaved a heavy sigh. Orphans like me always got worse treatment from everybody. Nobody cared about dirty children like us. I look at myself and tears started to well. This is the only cloth I had, this torn dress all I had in my entire life. I swipe away my tears with it.
Just when I was about to drifted away in my own world, I heard footsteps and the door creaked open. Streams of lights filled the room. My eyes couldn’t bear the striking light causing my eyes to close for a moment. The figure that was standing in the doorway seemed familiar to me and I quickly recognized it as Mrs. Crane.
“So Angelica, have you learned your lesson?” she sneezed at me. I nodded my head with no temptation to do so. She walked towards me, and jerked me up so I could stand face to face with her. She also grabbed my cheek only by one of her long and skinny hand.
“You’re lucky I’m in a good mood today, so I am going to let you go. But….. After this I want you to stay in your room and no dinner for you tonight. Huh! Now move out!” she commanded and pushed me out of the room. I stumbled forward and found myself staring at the staircase.
“What are you waiting for? Move!” again she gave me orders.
With some strength that I still had, I pushed myself up on the stairs until I saw a hallway full of kids from different ages. Yes, they are my friends, my dear friends; a friend which always helped me when I was faced trouble but today none of them can do anything because I was caught in the act. A few heads turned towards me and a sympathy look came across their faces. I tried to walk with dignity and lifted my chin, smiling, strode past them quietly to my own room. My best friends Rodeo and Jill stood as still as a statue. I tried to assured them that everything was alright by sending signals after that I locked myself in my room. When I was about to wash my face, Jill entered.




“Are you ok?” she asked. I gave her a thumb up sign. She looked glad.


“Well, looks like your dress is dirty, why don’t you wears mine. I have one left in the drawer. Wait here, I’ll get it for you,” she said and she was back in a jiffy.




Saying thank you, I slipped the dress over my head and went to bed with an empty stomach. That night I couldn’t stand it anymore. We orphans had suffered enough in this abandon house that stated far away from other people. I had to make a move. I crept down from my bed and tiptoed to my drawer. I took out a pen and a piece of sheet and started scrabbling something in it. Satisfied with my writing I went back to my bunk and woke Jill. I told her I got to go for everyone’s sake. With tears streaming down our cheeks I said goodbye. Covered only with thin blanket around my body and torn up shoes at my feet, I started my journey for help to the nearest town. 

Snow was falling hard and I was shivering from the cold weather. Would I succeed? Only god knew. With each step that I took, courage began to sap into me and I become more determine to free ourselves orphans from Mrs. Crane grasp. Even though she was our matron but she never cared about us. We had been through a lot of obstacles and this is the last straw. I had to fight back by searching for help. I needed backup. Back at the hostel, I know that Mrs. Crane had probably gone mad when she found out that I was missing. For hours I walked, pushing my way through the blinding blizzard. My feet began to get numb out of the cold and lack of rest. At last I arrived at my destination. At that time I was exhausted. Eyes wild, I stumbled towards a big house and knocked the door. I didn’t know how long I had been knocking on the door.
I felt like my time had come and I was sure of it. Finally when the door opened and a man stood in front of me, I looked up and with a smile, I handed him the letter. I knew that if I could not made it by telling these people what had happened, they could always read my letter. Yes, they would understand and they would help us. All I know was that my mission was a success. I closed my eyes and collapsed at the door not realizing a strong hand supporting me and wrapped me up in a warm blanket. I knew it was a waste of time and nothing can be done.
“Goodbye friends,” I whispered and smile for the last time.



0 comments: